Adopting a rescue dog is an amazing experience and you gain an amazing new member of your family.
Although challenging at times, like life is, we set a high standard & expectations for our adoptive families. We expect you to work with the dog that you are choosing to commit to; whether they are unique challenges or just providing them with a lifestyle that fits the working breeds needs.
Our ultimate goal is to find the perfect match FURever home for the dogs in our care. Our process is carefully thought out in order to put the dogs’ best interest first.
Northern rescue dogs are different from other rescue dogs. Please consider all the aspects of bringing these dogs into your family: financial stability, training, lifestyle etc.)
CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE TO ADAPT TO THE COVID-19 SITUATION FOR THE SAFETY OF OUR TEAM AND POTENTIAL ADOPTERS
- Thoroughly read the bios for our adoptable dogs. When you see a dog that you feel would be a perfect match, click the APPLY TO ADOPT button on their page.
- If your application is selected and approved (note, only those moving on are contacted), we will contact you regarding the next steps:
Required information: References, veterinary background check, current photos & videos of home, property & surrounding area. The timeline of when you would be contacted depends on the dog, and you can keep an eye on our website or social media for updates.
- Virtual meeting is conducted with the final applicants. Please be ready to welcome the dog into your home within 72 hours of virtual meeting.
- Final meeting is conducted in person in Muskoka with entire family, current dogs in home and prospective dog.
- Paws of the North Rescue does NOT ask for an adoption fee at the time of Adoption. We do not feel it is right to ask for a fee for the dogs we are assisting the communities we support in finding the right home. Our efforts and funds are raised by fundraisers and donations. We ask the furever family to make a minimum donation to their new family member, and we will provide a tax receipt like any other donation given and is greatly appreciated.
- We do not adopt out to families with Children under the age of 3 years old; Children are considered on individual basis for each dog and age restrictions may apply for the safety of the dog.
- All Paws of the North Rescue dogs are are vetted with full health exam, bloodwork/ecg, spayed/neutered, microchipped, proper vaccinations and parasite treatments (up to when adopted). Any other health issues are addressed and needs are met.
- All Paws of the North Rescues dogs are required to attend professional BALANCED training. Degree will vary based on the dog. Proof of registration from a reputable BALANCED trainer, will be required prior to completion of adoption and proof of completion will be required under specified timeline
- We will request reference, proof of financial and job security
- Veterinary background check for all past vets – those that do not have history of annual wellness exams/vaccines/prevention, spay/neuter and trend of following veterinary recommendation will be declined. We hold our adopters to a high level of veterinary care to give the best to our dogs, as they get when in rescue care; if you current pets are not up to date on vaccines or spayed/neutered, you will not be approved.
- Under contract, if an adoption does not workout for whatever reason, the dog must be returned to Paws of the North Rescue – never sold, euthanized (for non-vet recommended reason) or given away